Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Calm, Peaceful, Perfectly Boring Day


Today is the start of my week long spring break and it has come not a moment too soon. The schedule I am keeping is about to kill me and my poor body needs a break. The fact that I actually slept until 10 a.m. this morning has totally led me to the conclusion that I needed a rest day.

Any other day whether it is a week day or a weekend I am up before the sun. In fact I don't even fall asleep until well past midnight most days and if I'm lucky my internal alarm wakes me no later than 5:30 a.m. sharp. If I'm not so lucky my internal alarm wakes me up every hour between 1 and 5 a.m. …UGH.

Today was a pretty good day. It was nice and calm and perfectly boring...I woke-up to my son pretty much staring me down. He wanted to watch television as he does every Sunday morning and since I wasn't already up he was probably wondering if it was safe to wake me. So when I finally opened my eyes all I saw was a face staring back at me not really the first thing I wanted to see, but he did give me a rousing "Good Morning, Mommy" before he asked whether or not he was allowed to watch television. I pretty much burst his little bubble when I told him no, because he had to finish cleaning up his room. I then tried rolling over and going back to sleep so I could finish the great dream I was having, but of course no such luck.

I turned on the television and began my Sunday morning ritual of watching all of my favorite political shows. Meet The Press with Tim Russert was already on and my old buddy Tim was steadily engaged in an interview with Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY). They were discussing the fallout for the administration regarding all of the sudden firings of the U.S. Attorneys. Next was his round table and as always he had on a remarkable group there was Tom Andrews of the Win Without War organization, former House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), Richard Perle of AEI and Rep. Joe Sestak (D-Pa). They were discussing the Iraq war, as if that topic is not done to death, but what they had to say was interesting to say the least. If you click on the link you will find video clips and transcript of the show for today.

Next I rolled my self out of bed to make our Sunday morning breakfast. This morning we had pancakes and turkey bacon...yummy. I don't ordinarily make pancakes, but E requested it and I obliged because I like to see him happy.

I had planned on going to my grandparent’s house today, so we could see them before they go on their annual cruise next Sunday, but I still had to wash my hair and grocery shop for the week. They live a little over an hour away and I would not have been able to stay as long as I liked, so I called and postponed our visit until next Saturday. I can't wait to see them because I simply adore my grandparents they are really cool people.

We finally got ourselves ready enough to go to the grocery store and I remembered I had promised E I would make him homemade baked macaroni and cheese, because that is his favorite dish, so I gathered up everything we needed and came home.

The rest of the day I just cooked, listened to E's excessive chatter and just enjoyed a peaceful day. I really wish everyday could be like this and I feel reenergized and ready to face another full week of work, Cub Scout meetings, gym, and school work. I have a term paper due in a couple of weeks, so even though this is spring break I will still busy with working my paper.

I hope your Sunday was just as great!!!

2 comments:

CreoleInDC said...

I did nothing but watch movies the entire day!

Laura(southernxyl) said...

My Sunday afternoon was spent taking my kid back to school, a 3-hour drive each way. I told her back in middle school days that she'd have to go away to college because she's such a homebody and a mama's girl, (and a daddy's girl too,) but I told her on the way back to school yesterday that after graduation if she wants to live at home and go to grad school that will be OK with me! I miss her!