
First of all let me clear up something Jews come in all colors and are from many different backgrounds and cultures. Contrary to popular believe the majority of Jews in the world are people of color. Most Americans think being Jewish is synonymous with being white, but that is not the case at all, with the exception being in the United States. Being that I am a black woman who happens to be Jewish I get that look and the question “how is that?” Even from other Jews (usually American) you do not know the true history of their own people. When I meet Israeli Jews or Ugandan (yes that is an African country) or even Asian Jews no one even bats an eye at the fact that I am black and are more surprised that I am an American. I am in no way the expert of all things Jewish and do not claim to be, but I do know that being a Jew is more then just a religion it is a culture that like most cultures has many sub-cultures within it. The one thing that all religious Jews have in common is the belief in this prayer.
“Sh’ma Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai eh-chad”
“Listen Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is one”
Anyway, enough of the theology lesson, if anyone has a question feel free to ask and if I can not answer it. I will ask my Rabbi and get back to you as soon as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment