Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!! Happy New Me!!


I've been MIA for a long, long time, but now I'm back. I had to stop blogging back in 2009 because I realized that I was starting to become a sad sack. I was tired of always feeling like I was writing nothing but how my life sucked. I felt bad and my writing reflected that.

I spent the rest of 2009 slipping downward on a slippery slope of depression. Until it just culminated in my getting a wake up call from a couple of friends. I realized then that I had to do something. I could no longer allow my life to go drifting by and waiting to get better and feel better. December 2009 I made a plan. I literally named it "A Guide to How to Save my Life", because I knew I needed saving. And I knew the only person that could do it was me. No amount of therapy, venting to friends or medication would help me. I had to get off my butt make a plan and stick to it. So, I made an outline listing all the areas that I wanted to improve in. At that time I still wasn't sure how I was going to implement the plan, but I prayed that God would help me find a way.

A couple of months later I found my lifeline...one of my co-workers, who lives near me decided to start a walking group to help us all lose a few pounds before summer. She invited me to join and although I don't really like mixing my business life with my personal life...I joined. Then things started to take off from there. One of the ladies mentioned running and I used to run and enjoyed it very much, so I decided to start running again in April and ran my first race of the year that very same month...a 10K. My love of running was rekindled...my mental health improved tremendously and I started to lose those 15lbs I'd picked up along the way.

During 2010 I ran 7 races including the Army Ten Miler with some of the Usual Suspects. Although, I still have my moments I'm in a much happier place then I was a year ago. Barring any real injuries or illnesses I plan never to stop working out, because I know that for me working out is directly related to my moods. And does WONDERS for my mental health!!

Yesterday, I sat down and wrote out all of the goals I want to accomplish this year. I will share them on a later post. Of course one of my goals is to blog...at least once per week. I will write a post every Sunday and if I don't call me out!

Well, anyway I hope you all have a Happy New Year! I know I will!

1 comment:

Abe said...

Happy New Year. Keep striving.